Technology news and views
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
  • APIC

    Posted on March 22nd, 2004 Sandeep 1 comment

    Ok, I’ve been meaning to write about this for quite some time, but was only inspired to write after reading this.

    So, like all the (gullible? nah!) people, I felt the need to find out what exactly Indiatimes’ much-touted APIC was. According the the many, many, many ads, it definitely wasn’t “Achaar, Papad, Imli, Chutney” (what kind of a deranged idiot came up with that one?) – it’s supposed to be “Address Prompter Insta Chat.”

    So what’s Address Prompter, you say? It essentially stores every e-mail address that you send a mail to, and when you are sending out a mail, it prompts you with the stored e-mail address. You can think of it as auto-completion for your web mail.

    Oh, the joy! No more contacts in your Outlook! No more writing down e-mail addresses in your slam book!!

    WTF? For such a (supposedly) “radically different experience”, the friggin’ Times Group has zillions of print and web ads for APIC. And they have tech-savvy film stars blurting out support for it.

    I didn’t bother to find out what Insta Chat was. If you are interested, check this out.

  • Interesting software for smartphones

    Posted on March 12th, 2004 Sandeep No comments

    Ok, that was one long hiatus. I hope to be back for good. Yeah, right.

    The following is a list of some interesting software that I can think of (hopefully I can get the time to develop them as well…):

    o Control home appliances using my mobile’s bluetooth capabilities. I mean, let’s face it – Bluetooth is here to stay. It can be as simple as opening the garage door or turning on the AC from where I’m sitting. Of course, there are remote controls to do that, but there is no universal remote for such varied appliances (is there? Do let me know in case such remote controls exist).

    o Be able to book in advance at restaurants/cinemas/blah using some kind of authentication, get a confirmation code (over GPRS, of course) from the merchant and be able to enter the place by just flashing the code.

    o Better integration with *NIX. Not everyone uses Windows. Well, maybe 90% of the people on Mother Gaia do. That’s no reason to force the other 10% to switch to it! Linux can be made to work with Nokia 3650 (check this out).

    I have a lot of other ideas, but since this is a public blog, I won’t be letting those cats out of the bag – not just yet, anyway ;-)

  • Motorola MPx200

    Posted on March 1st, 2004 Sandeep 1 comment

    Motorola’s smartphone, the MPx200, based on Microsoft’s Windows Mobile is
    out. Here’s a small comparison between MPx200 and my Nokia 3650:

    MPx200

    3650

    Microsoft Pocket Outlook Default E-mail/SMS/MMS software
    Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer No default web browser (alternates: Opera)
    Instant messaging (built-in IM/MSN messenger) No default software for IM (alternates: Agile Messenger) (or rather, who uses mobiles for IM anyway?)
    Windows Media Player, supporting WMA, WMV and MP3 (they claim it also supports streaming media, and I am assuming RealVideo here) RealOne player (other players have to be installed separately, for example MP3Go)

    (What next? McAfee Mobile?)

    One plus point with the MPx200 is the Mini-USB data cable for quick transfers of data between the phone and your (Windows based) PC (but I am hoping Linux-compatible software will be available elsewhere). The minus point is: no bluetooth. That’s reason enough for me not to buy this phone. Without bluetooth, there’s not much Motorola can do in the smartphone field. Of course, many people might disagree, saying “I don’t need bluetooth. I have my trusty cable, see?” But ask them if they can print from their mobile to a printer directly without involving a PC, and you will know why I said so. That’s not all. Bluetooth opens up a host of other great ideas, which the MPx200 user has to do without, and that’s sad. (Related link here.)

    [Update]: Motorola has the upcoming MPx220, with bluetooth and a camera to boot. And support for SD cards, not the costlier MMC cards that Nokia Series 60 phones support.